Forgot Password?   Create Account


Blog
Smelly Water? Could be Sulfur: Everything You Need to Know About Sulfur in Water
Monday, May 20, 2019

Does your water smell like rotten eggs? If it does, it's probably because the levels of sulfur in water are too high.

While most people use different types of water filters and water softener systems to remove minerals and contaminants from their water, removing sulfur from water tends to be a little bit trickier than just filtering it out.

But, the stinky smell of sulfur water isn't the only thing that you have to worry about. Left untreated, sulfur water can actually cause serious health problems. Here's everything you need to know about sulfur in water!

Why Is There Sulfur In Water?

In order to explain why sulfur ends up in your water, we need to have a little bit of a science breakdown!

Sulfates are a type of sulfur, but sulfates get into water sources through the Earth. When it rains, rainwater and groundwater run through the surface of the Earth, mixing with minerals that contain sulfur.

As the groundwater and rainwater mix makes it to your well, sulfur is carried along with the water mix and also takes a trip to your water source. While sulfur is an important mineral, having a high sulfur content in your water can actually lead to potential damage to your home.

Why You Should Remove Sulfur From Your Water

Okay, so what that sulfur in water smells kind of bad? Besides the obvious smell and potential damage to your home, there are a few other reasons why you should be more concerned about the sulfur in your water.

Sulfur = Bacteria

The bacteria that live in the soil actually use sulfur as an energy source. So, when they've used up their energy source and produce waste, the waste that bacteria produces is known as hydrogen sulfide gas.

That sulfur, rotten egg smell that we were just talking about? That's actually the waste of bacteria!

Sulfur Isn't Healthy

Fun fact: drinking sulfur water can actually dehydrate you. While eating sulfur is an important part of any diet, drinking too much sulfur water can cause diarrhea and dehydrates you.

More Bacteria

The bacteria that use sulfur as an energy source produce slime, which is often colored black, white, or gray. The presence of sulfur bacteria in a water system makes the area cozy enough for other forms of bacteria to grow.

One of the most commonly found types of bacteria that often pair themselves up with sulfur-eating bacteria, is iron bacteria. Iron bacteria produce a red tinted brown slime. Both the iron and sulfur bacteria coat pipes, which can increase your chances of having to fix a clog or a corroded pipe.

Let's Talk About It

Sulfur in water can not only lead to potential damage to your home, but it even could pose health risks to you and your family. If you're worried about your sulfur water and you're looking to get it fixed, contact us today to schedule a consultation!

View All Recent Posts