Forgot Password?   Create Account


Blog
Measuring Chlorination in Drinking Water: The Dangers of Too Much or Too Little Chlorine in Your Drinking Water
Monday, November 25, 2019

The U.S. Council of Environmental Quality has stated the cancer risk is up to 93% higher for individuals that drink chlorinated water rather than non-chlorinated water.

For anyone that is concerned about their health, drinking water with any amount of chlorine in it may be questionable. How can you know if it is safe?

We use chlorine to treat our water, so chlorination in drinking water is practically inevitable. Chlorine can kill bacteria, which keeps us healthy, and this is the reason we started to use it.

If you want to learn about the impact that chlorine has on your drinking water, keep reading to find out if too little or too much can be dangerous.

Impact of Chlorination in Drinking Water

There are important standards in place to measure how safe water is for consumption.

It is safe to drink chlorinated water up to 4 mg per liter. No harmful effects are likely to come up when you're ingesting this amount.

Ingesting small amounts of chlorine has been found to protect against waterborne diseases. This is the main reason that it is still in use, as it is a barrier against many illnesses that could impact Americans.

There are pros and cons to using chlorinated water, so let's discuss what you should know to be well-informed about your drinking water.

Benefits of Chlorinated Water

Chlorine in water has been around since the early 1900s. It was found to be a breakthrough, as diseases, such as cholera or typhoid fever, were killing thousands of people in our country.

To combat this epidemic, water distributors started to use chlorine to reduce bacteria. Once it was found to be successful, chlorine was used to disinfect water as an affordable and effective solution.

Today, it is used to keep us healthier against those waterborne diseases and illnesses than we would be without water treatment.

Cons of Chlorinated Water

Chlorine acts as a pesticide that destroys living organisms (bacteria), which is why it does its job so well to clean our water. The issue is that chlorine also has the capability of destroying cells and tissue within our own bodies.

There have been numerous studies that state chlorinated water does more harm than it does good, which is a cause for concern.

For instance, a study conducted in 1995 found a correlation between the by-products in chlorine and a higher risk of bladder or rectal cancer. Another study found that there is an increased risk of pancreatic cancer from the same by-products.

Many of us regularly take action to limit our exposure and risk of getting cancer, so considering your drinking water may be part of the problem is quite scary.

Another survey found that chlorinated water could be the reason that more people in Western countries have food allergies than other parts of the world.

Chlorine: Safe or Unsafe?

If you're concerned about chlorination in drinking water, it is important to measure the amount of chlorine you are drinking.

Being better informed is the best way to stay protected!

If you'd like to find a representative that can help you monitor your water quality, please contact us to get the information you need.

View All Recent Posts