Forgot Password?   Create Account


Blog
Do You Own a Home? 3 Important Reasons You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Monday, December 23, 2019

Every day, an American quietly loses his or her life due to carbon monoxide poisoning. In fact, approximately 430 people die each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Nearly 50,000 are rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. This is because the gas is odorless, tasteless, and colorless.

For this reason, every household or office needs a carbon monoxide detector. Read on to learn why this is a critical safety item for your house. Explore 3 important reasons to install a detector today.

1. Your State Requires It

Depending on the state that you reside in, carbon monoxide detectors may be required. In New Jersey, for example, detectors are necessary for all buildings with few exceptions.

In Pennsylvania, contractors cannot build a new home without installing a detector. The home will not get a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) unless one is installed.

You may have trouble selling your home without a detector. The home inspection is going to list it as a deficiency and many buyers will want it corrected.

There are several different types of acceptable detectors. Biometric detectors include a gel that changes color when it absorbs carbon monoxide. The color change will trigger the alarm.

Electrochemical detectors change the electrical current when carbon monoxide is present. Another option is metal oxide detectors. These units have a semiconductor chip that detects carbon monoxide if electrical resistance lowers. Finally, there are dual-purpose detectors that do other things such as smoke detection.

2. Your Life Depends on It

Legal requirements aside, your family’s lives depend on a functional detector. Carbon monoxide poisoning often happens when you least expect it.

Many cases occur in the middle of the night while your family is sleeping. For liability reasons and to protect its consumers, hotels and motels also utilize carbon monoxide detectors.

Carbon monoxide is present in homes that burn natural gas, wood, or propane. Poisoning is more likely during winter months when windows and doors are sealed. In the worst-case scenario, there can be fatalities if the carbon monoxide presence is too severe.

3. Your Health Is On the Line

While death is the greatest fear, your long-term health is also at risk. Many people mistake carbon monoxide for the common cold or flu.

The symptoms include severe nausea and dizziness. Some patients have headaches or shortness of breath, while others feel faint or weak.

Carbon monoxide exposure leads to an elevated heart rate and overall confusion. These symptoms tend to get increasingly worse as you are exposed to more carbon monoxide.

A Recap of Why Carbon Monoxide Detectors Are So Important

There are many good reasons why the majority of states legally require detectors in each dwelling. These detectors are proven to save lives and prevent illness from excessive carbon monoxide exposure.

It is not hyperbole to say that your life may depend on the installation of a detector. If you need to purchase a carbon monoxide detector, contact us today for assistance!

View All Recent Posts