Forgot Password?   Create Account


Blog
A Guide to Everyday Household Chemicals
Monday, August 17, 2020

According to the American Lung Association chemicals in everyday household cleaning products can cause a number of health problems including cancer.

The problem is you're probably using these products regularly and haven't been made aware of the risks that come with using them.

If you want to educate yourself and learn how you can combat this problem you can learn about everyday household chemicals by reading more.

Products with the Most Dangerous Household Chemicals

It's amazing that we use some products almost every day and don't realize how dangerous they can be. Some of the most dangerous household chemicals include ammonia, potassium permanganate, peracetic acid, and many others.

Ammonia

Ammonia can be very volatile. If you end up inhaling it you might mess up your mucous membranes and respiratory system.

It can also burn your skin if you spill it on yourself. Plus, if ammonia is mixed with other chlorinated prouducts such as bleach it produces chloramine gas which is deadly.

Air Fresheners

Many air fresheners have high amounts of harmful chemicals in them. Chemicals like p-dichlorobenzene which is a toxic irritant. There are also petroleum distillates that are flammable.

Petroleum distillate can irritate the lungs, eyes, and skin. In some sensitive people, it can cause pulmonary edema which can kill you.

The propellants that are used in many air fresheners are not only flammable but they can cause damage to your central nervous system.

Drain Cleaners

Most drain cleaners have sulfuric acid or sodium hydroxide. If you get either of these on your skin it will burn and they can also hurt your eyes, even causing blindness. If swallowed, they are toxic.

Detergent

Laundry detergents have a lot of different chemicals. If you ingest a laundry detergent that has catatonic agents then you might become nauseated, convulse, vomit, and even find yourself in a coma.

Oven Cleaners

If your oven cleaner is composed of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide they're very corrosive. If swallowed they can burn your lungs as well as burn you skin if spilled on it. These agents can even kill you if enough of it is ingested.

Rat Poisoning

Rodenticides or rat poisons are harmful to both humans and pets. The majority of rat poisoning solutions have warfarin which if swallowed can cause internal bleeding. However, rat poisons these days aren't as harmful as they once were.

Moths

Mothballs actually can be quite dangerous. They contain naphthalene or p-dichlorobenzene. Either of these is toxic. They can irritate your eyes, skin, and respiratory system.

They can also cause headaches and dizziness. If you're exposed to mothballs or these chemicals for lengthy periods of time you might get cataracts or have liver damage. It's important to rid your home of mothballs regularly.

Keep Your Home Safe

Keeping an eye out for the household chemicals in the products you buy is extremely important. Try to limit ammonia, sulfuric acid, sodium hydroxide, and others mentioned above to keep you family healthy.

Contact us to have your home checked out and kept safe from household chemicals.

Our goal at ATI is to help provide our customers with the knowledge needed to ensure a safe and healthy environment. Toward this goal, we strive to develop and produce the highest quality instruments available. Our commitment to continuous improvement of analytical sensing systems is the key to our steadily expanding monitoring capability, and provides our users with the power of reliable information.

View All Recent Posts